New film reviews are all spoiler free!
Oldies are a little more in depth!
If you want to suggest a film for me to review tweet or Facebook us!

Saturday 30 January 2016

The Outsiders Episode 1 (WMC #2)

New show season is bringing lots of new shows to watch and its hard to decide which to go with, however Outsiders caught my eye by description as Sons of Anarchy crossed with Justified. Whilst I have seen neither, Sons of Anarchy fans still tell me to watch the show so I thought I would try out Outsiders.

The show is based around a family or tribe who live in the mountains near a small town and have done for years. They live off their land and occasionally raid the shops if needed. Their strength and history with the town protects their mystical nature but as a new leader waits to be appointed and eviction notices are served to the tribe trouble spills into both the town and the tribe.

I quite enjoyed it, I found it easy to relate for a very unusual reason that I will touch on in a moment but first a little context. I am a young, working class brit who has very little knowledge of anything any where near this kind of subject matter so it was very alien and unusual and I have to imagine highly fantastical. Which I actually really like. I think the show has the potential to step up where mythological tribe style shows fall down. Look at shows that have a similar plot at their inception like the wave of vampire shows that recently graced the silver screen. I would be sorely disappointed an surprised if Outsiders fell into the same romantic teen drama tropes.

There are a fair few compelling characters, all of which sit in a morally grey area, the history of the world seems deep and enticing and even some of the plain normal characters seem worth following. It's shot and acted as well as most high quality television you expect to see from HBO, FX, Amazon, AMC or Netflix, and David Morse puts in a fantastic performance, even if it is strange seeing him with all that hair...

For now at least Outsiders has caught my attention, it has the potential to be a great show and its refreshingly different enough despite being a little Sons of Anarchy, True Detective and maybe (hopefully not) a little True Blood...

Now to why I feel a little identification with it despite being a keyboard surfing nerd... I currently play a Half Orc in D&D with a group of friends and Outsiders are almost exactly how I would imagine a group of Ocs... but thats just my obsession...

Check out Outsiders!

No comments:

Post a Comment